Posted on Posted in Thimphu

Built in 1216 by lama Gyalwa Lhanapa, founder of the Lhapa branch of the Drikung Kagyu established as the main seat of the southern Drukpa Kagyu and the summer residence of the monastic. TashichoeDzong has been the seat of Bhutan’s governemtn since 1968 and presently it houses the throne room and offices of the king, the cabinet secretariat and the ministries of home affairs and finance. Some other government departments are housed in building to the south of the Dzong